Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cedar Waxwings, Robins, & Mockingbirds

Two years ago, a flock of Cedar Waxwings flew through my backyard and devoured a Beauty Berry Bush that somehow planted itself in the yard. They were soon joined by a few American Robins and some Mockingbirds and by the end of the day, the plant was picked clean of berries. When I saw the feast going on, I got my video camera out and this was the result (make sure you hit the High Quality (HQ) button):

Since that flock of Cedar Waxwings visited, I've yet to see another one. The robins migrate through Central Florida every year, and if you're at the right place at the right time, you'll see them. This year, the Beauty Berries have been completely untouched. From what I understand, birds only eat these berries if there is nothing else around because they are so acidic, but I'm still waiting for the Cedar Waxwings to pay another visit...

2 comments:

Rick Kilby said...

i saw the cedar waxwings yesterday!

Rick Kilby said...

wow you can really see them clearly in your video- it's like their tails have been dipped in yellow paint!