Wednesday, February 17, 2010

SDO, Sonic Booms, & Sun Dogs...

On February 11, 2010, the Solar Dynamics Observatory launched on an Atlas V Rocket. I attepted to watch the launch from my front yard, but there were too many clouds between where I was and the coast to get a good view. I was able to see the rocket for about five seconds through a hole in the clouds, but that was about it.

Being closer to the launch apparently provided an awesome show. Turn the video to 720p and turn on full screen. Wait until about two minutes in when the rocket is about to pass through the sun dog, and then the rocket goes supersonic while passing through the ice particles in the air. I've never seen anything quite like this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Titusville in the early 80's watching the space shuttle go up many times, this video you have is really pretty cool, people probably would not believe it if you told them what you saw that day, but having it now on video and sharing it with all of us is awesome !

SwampAngel65 said...

OMG! I have never seen anything like that before! WOW!!! Thanks so much for sharing...awesome stuff!