Saturday, December 13, 2008

American Bison in Florida

A few years ago, I came across this herd of American Bison on a farm somewhere northwest of Gainesville, FL. This particular herd was definitely domesticated, and I'm assuming these 'Buffalo' were being raised for meat.
American Bison
American Bison
American Bison
I never knew this, but apparently there are some wild herds of bison living in Paynes Prairie State Park which were introduced from the American Midwest in the 1970s. That's even better than farm animals, but only without the barbed wire fence that might deter a bison from trampling you.
More about the wild bison.

2 comments:

Woodencoasterfan said...

From what I understand, Bison were native to Florida before they were all killed off. You are right in that there are wild herds in Payne's Prairie and they were introduced from Oklahoma.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just wanted to say that I found fucking massive bones at the bottom of a dried up pond in the middle of nowhere, and I'm very good at identifying animals and their bones from years of collecting, and they're no doubt the bones of a massive bison and not just some stray cow. The hip is so big you could pull it over your head and wear it around your waste, and I even found metacarpal bones. Who would've known that there was bison in FLorida! That's how I found this article because I was shocked by the find and decided I'd just search it up on the Internet. I'm a big motherfucker and the jaws length is about as long from my elbow to knuckles of my hand. If that doesn't sound amazing enough, because I spend so much time in the wilderness, I even think there's a panther out here, and even once found a 4 inch pawprint, which would make him about a 180 pnd male, but sure enough here is good habitat for a big, big cat, whatwith its fat deer, and watersources, and endless fields of tall grass like the savanah.